Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Texas Bound




In 3 days, Dave and I will be making our first trip ever to the Lone Star state. As many of you know, we are prayerfully considering moving there (specifically to Houston) in a year to assist with a church plant. As this will be the first time either of us has ever set foot in Texas (aside from the Dallas-Ft. Worth airport), we are not entirely sure what to expect. We do, however, know to expect heat. And more heat. But then, we lived for 20+ years in Florida, so this is nothing new. Unfortunately, my being accustomed to being hot does not equate with enjoying the heat. In fact, being hot often stirs my comfort-loving heart to complaining and discontentment. When I grumble at the heat and my subsequent discomfort, I am grumbling against the Lord.

It is as if I am saying, "Lord, I don't believe that this heat and discomfort is for my good. I have the right to be comfortable at all times. I am entitled to live in a place where the climate suits my desires perfectly and to complain when it doesn't. In fact, my comfort is of utmost importance. It is more important than being hot for the sake of the gospel of Christ."



Ugh. Just writing that is shameful.



There are many preparations left to make before we leave on Friday. The obvious ones include washing and packing clothes, and carefully packing our carry-ons free of liquids or nail files or suspiscious items (for fear of being manhandled and interogated by the TSA). But there are also spiritual preparations to be made in my heart. As I seek to prepare my heart, I am looking to Philippians 2:14-15:

"Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world..."

Would you pray this for me as well? That I would do all things, included visit Texas, without grumbling, that I might shine as a light in this crooked world. Houston, TX is part of this crooked world that needs lights to shine with the truth of the gospel. Hot people in Texas need Christ. I pray I will remember this even as my sweat-soaked back and humidity-frizzed hair tempt me to grumble and question.


Would you also pray for wisdom and discernment for Dave and me as we seek to determine if indeed the Lord would have us move to Houston in a year? Your prayers on our behalf are much appreciated.

No comments: