Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Geyser in our Laundry Room

On Sunday night on our way out of church, I got a frantic call from our downstairs neighbor, Kristin, saying, "There is a waterfall in our apartment coming from upstairs. Something crazy is happening in your apartment."

Great.

Dave and I raced home and when we opened the front door to the house (the downstairs door) the sound of rushing water was deafening (okay, maybe not deafening, but seriously loud). Dave flew up the stairs as I braced myself for a completely flooded apartment and made my way up with Shepherd in tow. (Shepherd was not phased, in case you were concerned). Upon entering our apartment I quickly learned that it was not flooded (praise the Lord), but gallons of water were spewing out of the busted washing machine hose and shooting straight up into the air in the laundry room. Dave was back there frantically trying to turn the water off, which is not an easy thing to do when being sprayed in the face. Unfortunately, the faucet was also broken, so he sent me to find the wrench. After a few more minutes of trying to turn the faucet with the wrench, with me holding the flashlight, Dave successfully turned the water off and the geyser dissipated - unfortunately, not without getting a little wet...

Dave post battle with the washing machine.

Thankfully, the laundry room is about the best room in the house the be doused with water. A few shelves collapsed because of the soaked drywall (see pic above), but we had minimal damage. I can't quite say that about our downstairs neighbors, the Perrines, though...

This is a picture of the Perrine's ceiling where a portion of it collapsed due to the waterfall from our place above. Thankfully, they were able to move things out from under this spot before it actually collapsed. Sorry guys.


Dave's first Sunday to not have to work at Frito-Lay was not quite as restful as he had hoped, but I am so glad he was home and not at work! Can you imagine if this had happened when Shepherd and I were at home by ourselves? There would be a lot of squealing and racing around frantically and calling people...and probably a pretty wet house by the end of it. The Lord is kind to give me such a capable husband who was home to deal with this!

1 comment:

Florida Girl said...

I know I am supposed to offer you many words of support and encouragement but this is just too funny. That first photo of David is priceless. Hope everything works out--quickly!